Banana bread. It doesn’t need much of an introduction… this classic quick bread recipe has been on American breakfast tables since the 1930’s.
Beyond its special place in American History, banana bread will always hold a place in my heart as it is the first thing my mom taught me to bake. Using a recipe passed down by her mother, I was in awe that browned bananas could turn into a finger-licking worthy batter. Every weekend we would take our old bananas and bake the passed down recipe, topping it with our favorite… cream cheese.
Due to my love for the original, it has taken me a while to health-ify this classic bread. But it was time. This easy Vegan and Gluten-free version even had my mom convinced it was just as good as the original.
Check out the recipe below, let me know what you think!
Yields 1 loaf
3 Tbs chia seeds
6 Tbs water
3 Ripe Bananas (optional: additional ½ banana for garnish)
1/3 Cup Coconut Oil, melted
½ Cup Almond Milk
2 Tsp Vanilla
1 Tbs Agave
¼ cup Coconut Sugar
½ Cup Almond Flour
½ Cup Coconut Flour
1 Cup Gluten Free Mix
1 tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
2 Tbs Hemp Seed
1 ½ tsp Cinnamon
½ tsp Ginger
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a large bowl, combine chia seeds and water. Let sit for at least 5 minutes until chia seeds have started to thicken and form a gel.
2. Once chia seeds have gelled, mash the bananas into the mixture. Mix in the rest of the wet ingredients until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl sift together all of the dry ingredients.
4. Gradually fold dry ingredients into the wet mixture, until well combined.
5. Prepare loaf pan with nonstick spray and add batter.
6. Garnish loaf with chopped nuts or a banana sliced lengthwise sprinkled with coconut sugar.
7. Bake for 25- 30 min. Until the center is cooked through.